In 1998 California State released a new smog check program. Vehicles have to be tested on Dynamometers for accurate smog pollution control. In addition to the Dynamometers testing, fuel cap testing has been added to the test procedure. All vehicles from 1975 and older are exempt from all aspect of the Smog Check program, but owners of these vehicles are required by law to keep their emissions system intact. All vehicles six years old and newer are not required to have a biennial Smog Check performed until their seventh year. However, these vehicles must have a Smog Check performed if the vehicle is sold or being registered in California for the first time.
Smog Check Prices
Year 2000 & newer (except cars over 14,000GVWR)
- CARS & LIGHT TRUCKS: $51.75 + state certificate
- VANS & HD TRUCKS: $61.75 + state certificate
- MOTOR HOMES: $119.75 + state certificate
- CARS & LIGHT TRUCKS: $71.75 + state certificate
- VANS & HD TRUCKS: $81.75 + state certificate
- MOTOR HOMES: $139.75 + state certificate
- CARS & LIGHT TRUCKS: $91.75 + state certificate
- VANS & HD TRUCKS: $121.75 + state certificate
- MOTOR HOMES: $149.75 + state certificate
Smog Check Facts
Since 1968 State of California has mandated many changes in Smog Check Program. The first Smog Check equipment in 1974 costs $1,400 and Smog certificate was 25 cents. The new Smog Check equipment costs $50,000 and Smog certificate is $8.25.
FOR MORE INFORMATION ON CALIFORNIA’S SMOG CHECK PROGRAM CLICK HERE
STATE CERTIFICATE FEE: $8.25
FAILED SMOG CHECK DIAGNOSIS: $132
Some vehicles will fail state smog inspection test.
We offer diagnostic test to find the cause of the failure & give you detailed report. In most cases this is one day job. Please call us to make an appointment.